From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Gentoo vs GNU toolchain (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags)
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:02:04
1 On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 20:40 +0200, Harald van Dijk wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 01:55:03PM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
3 > > Keep pushing this and the only thing you will end up with is the
4 > > vanilla flag being removed all together..
5 >
6 > Is that a threat? If not, is there a reason behind this?
7
8 Yes.. When users or devs complain non stop when they
9 don't understand something it leaves us with a few choices.
10 1) put up with people not having a clue.
11 2) remove the option so they can't bitch about it.
12
13 Option #1 is not fun as it pushes the hand on #2
14
15 > > You want a pure 100%
16 > > vanilla(POS) non working toolchain then go download it and
17 > > compile it yourself. You will soon see why things exist the way
18 > > they do..
19 >
20 > If you mean modifying the build system to actually work properly, then I
21 > have no problem with that. USE=vanilla refers to runtime behaviour, not
22 > the build system. (See use.desc.) Specifically, if patches are applied
23 > that make sure GCC compiles, and those patches make sure GCC compiles to
24 > the same program intended by the GCC devs at that release, those patches
25 > are appropriate, IMO. None of the GCC patches I have problems with are
26 > of this nature.
27 >
28 > If you mean vanilla GCC + build fixes is unusable, then I'd appreciate
29 > an explanation, because as far as I know, it can work just fine as a
30 > system compiler, and plenty of people, at some times myself included,
31 > use it as one.
32
33 You use the Gentoo modified one. Regardless of what USE= flags you have
34 enabled you are still getting Gentoo behaviors.
35
36 Think vanilla-sources are pure? They are not.
37 They get patched as well with the minimal amount of patches required.
38 --
39 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
40 Gentoo Linux
43 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list