From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Gentoo vs GNU toolchain (was Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing cpu-feature USE flags)
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:12:04
1 On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 03:57:51PM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 20:40 +0200, Harald van Dijk wrote:
3 > > On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 01:55:03PM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
4 > > > Keep pushing this and the only thing you will end up with is the
5 > > > vanilla flag being removed all together..
6 > >
7 > > Is that a threat? If not, is there a reason behind this?
8 >
9 > Yes.. When users or devs complain non stop when they
10 > don't understand something it leaves us with a few choices.
11 > 1) put up with people not having a clue.
12 > 2) remove the option so they can't bitch about it.
13 >
14 > Option #1 is not fun as it pushes the hand on #2
15
16 Option 3: Enlighten me. I have explained why I feel the way I do, so if
17 there's some big flaw in my understanding, please do correct it.
18
19 > > > You want a pure 100%
20 > > > vanilla(POS) non working toolchain then go download it and
21 > > > compile it yourself. You will soon see why things exist the way
22 > > > they do..
23 > >
24 > > If you mean modifying the build system to actually work properly, then I
25 > > have no problem with that. USE=vanilla refers to runtime behaviour, not
26 > > the build system. (See use.desc.) Specifically, if patches are applied
27 > > that make sure GCC compiles, and those patches make sure GCC compiles to
28 > > the same program intended by the GCC devs at that release, those patches
29 > > are appropriate, IMO. None of the GCC patches I have problems with are
30 > > of this nature.
31 > >
32 > > If you mean vanilla GCC + build fixes is unusable, then I'd appreciate
33 > > an explanation, because as far as I know, it can work just fine as a
34 > > system compiler, and plenty of people, at some times myself included,
35 > > use it as one.
36 >
37 > You use the Gentoo modified one. Regardless of what USE= flags you have
38 > enabled you are still getting Gentoo behaviors.
39
40 Gentoo isn't the only system I use. I have used vanilla GCC + build
41 fixes, and I have been able to get a working system with it. So I'm
42 still waiting on your explanation of how it is unusable.
43
44 > Think vanilla-sources are pure? They are not.
45 > They get patched as well with the minimal amount of patches required.
46
47 Interesting, and I did not know that, but looking at kernel-2.eclass
48 (which appears to be the only thing doing any modifying), the
49 modifications are all build system fixes, and won't affect the generated
50 kernel.
51 --
52 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list