From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for January
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 08:40:52
1 Carsten Lohrke posted <200601052030.36308.carlo@g.o>, excerpted
2 below, on Thu, 05 Jan 2006 20:30:27 +0100:
3
4 > On Thursday 05 January 2006 16:46, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
5 >> Yeah ok, let me end up these holidays, and I'll prepare a written request
6 >> to change the Linux part in something else
7 >
8 > You should also contact the folks working on the gentoo.org redesign. While
9 > there was a bit of fuss about the infinity symbol, I always wondered why no
10 > one lost a word against the "Linux" below, given that we claim to provide a
11 > meta-distribution.
12
13 Well, for that matter, "distribution" is considered at least by my *BSD
14 friends, to be a peculiarly Linux term. From their perspective, Linux has
15 1001 "distributions", but they only have the one *BSD they choose to use.
16 They don't consider BSD fragmented, even with multiple "distributions" as
17 it were, because each BSD is its own thing, yet at the same time, no Linux
18 is its own thing, it's fragmented into 1001 "distributions".
19
20 So, while Gentoo is certainly more than Linux, even maintaining the
21 "metadistribution" term in the definition, will be the same thing as
22 keeping the "Linux", from the viewpoint of the many tending toward the BSD
23 side of the FLOSS community.
24
25 What word to use in place of "distribution", when one wants to include the
26 BSDs and other "non-distributions" as well, other than
27 Linux/BSD[/*ix]][/OSX], or simply *ix... *IS* there such a term?
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
33 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list