From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 00:41:53
1 Consus wrote:
2 > This is how overlays work right now. What are suggesting to change?
3
4 Technically not a lot in terms of how packages get installed.
5
6 It's more about offering support and/or visibility for overlays.
7
8 So technically it's about hosting user repos, making the ebuilds
9 within easily discoverable, and simplifying their consumption.
10
11 I would personally be super happy to have my overlay hosted at Gentoo -
12 not because I can't host it myself - but because that would be a lovely
13 recognition and a great way to get more visibility and thus more help
14 with the packages that I've made more or less serious attempts at
15 packaging.
16
17 Usually they are less seriuos attemps, otherwise I would proxymaint
18 them, but they are good enough for me, so maybe for someone else as
19 well, even though they may be totally incomplete e.g. as far as USE
20 flags go.
21
22 (This is true for ebuilds in gentoo too, but I would never want my
23 name on something like that for the actual tree; I want to deliver
24 higher quality there, and until I have time to do so the half-assed
25 ebuilds stay in my overlay. They wouldn't get included anyway, and
26 they shouldn't.)
29 //Peter