From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 41: Making Arch Testers official Gentoo Staff
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:17:02
1 On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 13:21:22 +0200 Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | > Uhm... Different people have different skill levels. Some of this is
4 | > down to natural ability, some of it is down to experience. Arch
5 | > testers have not yet proven themselves. Full developers have (at
6 | > least in theory...).
7 |
8 | Yes, in theory. Too bad reality doesn't match with theory far too
9 | often. I for example became dev after just submitting a few
10 | "app-foo/bar works on amd64" bugs and moaning because it took too
11 | long to get them fixed. Of course i knew portage, but I really can't
12 | say that I have proven myself to be useful to the project when I
13 | joined it. BUT, this was before the idea of an AT existed. Today,
14 | every user who wants to become a amd64 developer, has to become AT
15 | first, to prove himself, so the problem you're speaking of was fixed,
16 | not caused by ATs.
17
18 Which is exactly why I like the idea of ATs, and exactly why I'm
19 against giving them in effect 'full dev minus cvs write' powers. That
20 can wait until they reach full dev status.
23 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
24 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
25 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm