From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 41: Making Arch Testers official Gentoo Staff
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 11:24:09
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > | voting previleges
3 >
4 > Again, why? They have not yet demonstrated their understanding of
5 > complex technical issues. Voting should be restricted to people who
6 > know what they're doing. Arch testers have not yet proven themselves.
7
8 Does that mean that all the Gentoo people who didn't take the ebuild quiz (which
9 doesn't proove the understanding of complex technical issues very good anyway
10 IMHO, but that's another issue) should not be allowed to vote?
11
12 > | > Assuming by "arch dev" you mean "arch tester", then:
13 > | >
14 > | > Experience, commitment and (at least in theory) recruitment
15 > | > standards.
16 > |
17 > | Commitment first:
18 > | IMNSHO, it is rude to assume that an Arch Tester is less commited to
19 > | their work than an Arch Team member. All developers should be doing
20 > | their part and should hopefully ( we don't live in an ideal world here
21 > | after all ) be commited to doing their work well. A lack of
22 > | commitment that results in shoddy work should get them removed from
23 > | any developer role, Arch Team member or otherwise.
24 >
25 > An arch tester has not committed himself to the project for the same
26 > length of time as a full developer.
27
28 That's not true. The whole point is that our current ATs *don't want* to be
29 developers but are willing to help us and are a great help to keep the tree up
30 to date, and we think it's unfair to honor a dev who doesn't much but sending
31 emails with a nice signature but treating the ATs as users where they do far
32 more than said dev.
33
34 > Uhm... Different people have different skill levels. Some of this is
35 > down to natural ability, some of it is down to experience. Arch testers
36 > have not yet proven themselves. Full developers have (at least in
37 > theory...).
38
39 Yes, in theory. Too bad reality doesn't match with theory far too often. I for
40 example became dev after just submitting a few "app-foo/bar works on amd64" bugs
41 and moaning because it took too long to get them fixed. Of course i knew
42 portage, but I really can't say that I have proven myself to be useful to the
43 project when I joined it. BUT, this was before the idea of an AT existed. Today,
44 every user who wants to become a amd64 developer, has to become AT first, to
45 prove himself, so the problem you're speaking of was fixed, not caused by ATs.
46
47 Regards,
48 --
49 Simon Stelling