From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 41: Making Arch Testers official Gentoo Staff
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 03:16:36
1 On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:01:20 -0400 Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
2 wrote:
3 | I'm not confusing anything here. Arch Devs ( ala members of arch
4 | teams ) and Arch testers should be equal in terms of developer
5 | status.
6
7 Why? Arch testers *aren't* full developers. They may become them, but
8 they haven't yet demonstrated that they're capable of being a full
9 developer.
10
11 | voting previleges
12
13 Again, why? They have not yet demonstrated their understanding of
14 complex technical issues. Voting should be restricted to people who
15 know what they're doing. Arch testers have not yet proven themselves.
16
17 | > Assuming by "arch dev" you mean "arch tester", then:
18 | >
19 | > Experience, commitment and (at least in theory) recruitment
20 | > standards.
21 |
22 | Commitment first:
23 | IMNSHO, it is rude to assume that an Arch Tester is less commited to
24 | their work than an Arch Team member. All developers should be doing
25 | their part and should hopefully ( we don't live in an ideal world here
26 | after all ) be commited to doing their work well. A lack of
27 | commitment that results in shoddy work should get them removed from
28 | any developer role, Arch Team member or otherwise.
29
30 An arch tester has not committed himself to the project for the same
31 length of time as a full developer.
32
33 | Being a Gentoo developer isn't ( or I should say, shouldn't be ) all
34 | about what happens in CVS. There are many people who support other
35 | portions of gentoo forums/bugs/devrel/testing/user
36 | relations/gentooexperimental.org/etc and some sort of stupid elitism
37 | about being a "better dev" or a dev that has "better skillz" because
38 | said dev has commit access is simply stupid. Devs with commit access
39 | may be skilled in the workings of the tree ( and there are certainly
40 | devs with commit access that do not possess such a skillset ), but
41 | that should be why they have commit access, because they possess the
42 | skills to manage the tree.
43
44 Uhm... Different people have different skill levels. Some of this is
45 down to natural ability, some of it is down to experience. Arch testers
46 have not yet proven themselves. Full developers have (at least in
47 theory...).
48
49 | Personally I would rather see people's CVS commit access by
50 | herd/package/section than just "generic tree access". Commiting
51 | something outside your Role becomes then contacting someone who knows
52 | what they are doing and who can look over your work (good!). The bad
53 | part being when no one is around who has commit access. A resolution
54 | for this situation would need to be required. Expections would need
55 | to occur as well ( tree-wide commits, and other things that happen
56 | from time to time ). However I'd like to see more input on things
57 | like this ( along with say, council approval? :) ).
58
59 Take a look at the branches proposal that's been floating around. It's
60 basically what you suggested with fewer holes and a more realistic view
61 of how development gets done.
64 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
65 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
66 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm