From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: using .xz for doc/man/info compression
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 17:59:22
1 On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
2 > What about not compressing files smaller than the filesysem block size
3 > at all. In my case its 4k. Any file gets allocated 4k on disc anyway,
4 > so compression/decompression is just a waste of resource for files
5 > <=4k.
6 >
7 > I'm not suggesting dynamically determining the output filesystem block
8 > size (unless you really want to), choose a static limit below which
9 > compression will not be applied.
10 >
11 > That eliminates the discussion about small files.
12
13 See existing discussion around this very topic - for some filesystems
14 that threshold is apparently as low as about 150 bytes.
15
16 Rich