From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: using .xz for doc/man/info compression
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 16:54:19
1 On 2014.05.12 10:35, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Sun, 11 May 2014 19:46:50 +0200
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Rationale: xz-utils is quite widespread nowadays and it is a part
6 > > of @system set. It can achieve better compression ratio than bzip2,
7 > > and faster decompression at the same time.
8 >
9 > Some thoughts:
10 >
11 > What about putting multiple doc / man / info files in a single .xz
12 > file
13 > for each package? Would that further improve the situation?
14 >
15 > (As they can share dictionary, instead of having multiple
16 > dictionaries)
17 >
18 > Some algorithms tend to work better for smaller files, whereas others
19 > work better for larger files; might this be the case for bzip2 vs.
20 > xz?
21 >
22 > --
23 > With kind regards,
24 >
25 > Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
26 > Gentoo Developer
27 >
28 > E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
29 > GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
30 > GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D
33 Some more thoughts ...
34
35 What about not compressing files smaller than the filesysem block size
36 at all. In my case its 4k. Any file gets allocated 4k on disc anyway,
37 so compression/decompression is just a waste of resource for files
38 <=4k.
39
40 I'm not suggesting dynamically determining the output filesystem block
41 size (unless you really want to), choose a static limit below which
42 compression will not be applied.
43
44 That eliminates the discussion about small files.
45 --
46 Regards,
47
48 Roy Bamford