From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposal: use only one hash function in manifest files
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 20:15:31
1 >>>>> On Tue, 05 Apr 2022, Jason A Donenfeld wrote:
2
3 > Huh. Something not brought up there or https://bugs.gentoo.org/784710
4 > is the fact that the _security_ of the system reduces to SHA-512 as
5 > used by our GPG signatures.
6
7 The hash algorithm would be the least of my concerns about the security
8 of these signatures.
9
10 IIUC, the secret signing key is stored on a machine that is connected to
11 the network (Infra, please correct me if I'm wrong). So there are other
12 more likely attack vectors than a preimage attack on a 512 bit hash
13 function.
14
15 Also: https://xkcd.com/538/ :)
16