From: "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx2c4@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposal: use only one hash function in manifest files
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 19:30:50
1 Hi Matt,
2
3 On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 8:58 PM Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
4 > This was a topic in June 2021's Council meeting:
5 >
6 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/sites/projects/council.git/tree/meeting-logs/20210613-summary.txt#n33
7 > https://gitweb.gentoo.org/sites/projects/council.git/tree/meeting-logs/20210613.txt#n137
8 >
9 > Basically there was no great reason presented for making the change
10 > and some (IMO specious) reasons for keeping multiple hashes. I don't
11 > think anyone felt strongly enough about removing one hash to fight for
12 > it.
13
14 Huh. Something not brought up there or https://bugs.gentoo.org/784710
15 is the fact that the _security_ of the system reduces to SHA-512 as
16 used by our GPG signatures.
17
18 By the way, we're not currently _checking_ two hash functions during
19 src_prepare(), are we?
20
21 Jason