From: Will Glynn <delta407@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Install w/o CD
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:45:15
1 I was recently (40 minutes ago) placed in a position where I wanted to install Gentoo on an existing Linux computer. But... I didn't have a Gentoo CD, nor did I have access to a burner. I'm sure that there are others who are in this same position but would still like to use Gentoo.
2
3 ...no, this e-mail isn't asking for help. How I did this may be obvious to some of you, but it took me a good half hour to figure out. I booted up the computer, downloaded the 16 MB ISO, did a mount -o loop .iso gentoocd/ and copied the contents into /boot/gentoo. The machine was running grub, so I added the following to /boot/grub/menu.lst:
4
5 title Gentoo Linux Setup
6 kernel /gentoo/isolinux/kernel devfs=nomount vga=normal load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=22000 root=/dev/ram0 rw
7 initrd /gentoo/isolinux/rescue.gz
8
9 Then I rebooted and the world was happy. (After trying to figure out why it didn't work for half an hour, that is. But it works now, anyway.) This seems like a reasonable way to load Gentoo without writing to a CD-R, which some people might find useful.
10
11 --delta407