From: Jano Lukac <jano@××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Install w/o CD
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:11:54
1 While a clever way to "boot the cd," isn't this a bit over-doing it? If you
2 already have a linux system installed, you don't really need to boot the
3 gentoo cd....
4
5 Will Glynn said:
6 > I was recently (40 minutes ago) placed in a position where I wanted to
7 > install Gentoo on an existing Linux computer. But... I didn't have a
8 > Gentoo CD, nor did I have access to a burner. I'm sure that there are
9 > others who are in this same position but would still like to use
10 > Gentoo.
11 >
12 > ...no, this e-mail isn't asking for help. How I did this may be obvious
13 > to some of you, but it took me a good half hour to figure out. I booted
14 > up the computer, downloaded the 16 MB ISO, did a mount -o loop .iso
15 > gentoocd/ and copied the contents into /boot/gentoo. The machine was
16 > running grub, so I added the following to /boot/grub/menu.lst:
17 >
18 > title Gentoo Linux Setup
19 > kernel /gentoo/isolinux/kernel devfs=nomount vga=normal
20 > load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=22000 root=/dev/ram0
21 > rw initrd /gentoo/isolinux/rescue.gz
22 >
23 > Then I rebooted and the world was happy. (After trying to figure out
24 > why it didn't work for half an hour, that is. But it works now,
25 > anyway.) This seems like a reasonable way to load Gentoo without
26 > writing to a CD-R, which some people might find useful.
27 >
28 > --delta407
32 > gentoo-dev mailing list
33 > gentoo-dev@g.o