From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 42 "Critical News Reporting" Round Two
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 09:41:45
1 On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 10:19:15 +0100
2 Grobian <grobian@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 10-11-2005 21:33:48 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
5 > > We need to establish *one* authoritative source of news. We can't
6 > > do that if we simultaneously launch several sources of news all at
7 > > once. We have to launch *one* service first, give the userbase time
8 > > to adjust to that, and then start making the news available via
9 > > additional sources.
10 >
11 > Yep, so create that central source on the web, and fork off mailing
12 > list posts, RSS-feeds and stuff based on this central repository.
13 > Also let portage warn users based on the information in this
14 > repository. We can start creating and populating the central web
15 > resource _right now_, as all the infrastructure is there. The
16 > mailing lists shouldn't be a problem as well. It all makes sense...
17
18 No, the central repository certainly shouldn't be on the web (whatever
19 that means in the first place), it has to be somewhere in CVS
20 (easily accessible by all devs, though not necessarily in a direct way)
21 and should be replicated to as many channels as possible (the website
22 being one of them).
23
24 Marius
29 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
30 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.