From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: Joe McCann <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[4]: [gentoo-dev] Stupid USE defaults that need cleaning
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 19:26:53
1 26.12.2005, 19:36:23, Joe McCann wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 17:57 +0100, Jakub Moc wrote:
4
5 >> eds - please, fix the ebuilds properly instead of throwing the thing on
6 >> everyone. This has already caused numerous invalid bugs with people
7 >> wondering why the heck portage wants to emerge gnome with USE="-gtk -gnome"
10 > For the record, the eds flag was added as a default flag because every 3rd
11 > gnome user would file bugs or complain via forums because they installed
12 > gnome, found no evolution-data-server integration, and then be bummed when
13 > they had to recompile packages again. This whole thread seems to have come
14 > from a misunderstanding of how use.defaults work and 20 min of boredom.
15
16 OK, so because every 3rd gnome user is not able to add the proper use flag
17 to make.conf, every non-gnome user is stuck with investigating and putting
18 -eds into make.conf to avoid pulling in gnome crap. Wonderful.
19
20 Yes, I am ranting, because this kind of use flags basically pulls in huge
21 number or unwanted dependencies; exactly the same thing with motif - would
22 someone explain why the heck do do we need this thing in make.defaults?
23
24 I don't think that this discussion will lead somewhere, so - anyone cares to
25 add a non-bloated x86 profile (basically, something like
26 profiles/hardened/x86/2.6 minus the hardened stuff) so that people who don't
27 want all this bloat can have a sane starting point?
30 Best regards,
31
32 Jakub Moc
33 mailto:jakub@g.o
34 GPG signature: http://subkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xCEBA3D9E
35 Primary key fingerprint: D2D7 933C 9BA1 C95B 2C95 B30F 8717 D5FD CEBA 3D9E
36
37 ... still no signature ;)