From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Inconsistent and messy layout of team maintainership in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 22:26:49
1 On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
2 > +1 in general, but I'm a little pensive about allowing non-devs to
3 > become official project members. Becoming a developer can be a
4 > grueling process, so I understand that some don't have the time or
5 > motivation, and still want to help out. So perhaps we could have
6 > contributors who wish to be project members pass our ebuild test, or
7 > some other litmus test to prove themselves, like a developer proxying
8 > them or something. Non-devs don't have direct push permissions to our
9 > main repo, so to my knowledge they'd still have to go through a dev.
10 > I'd just like to see some sort of documentation that sets expectations
11 > for non-dev project members so that a new contributor understands what
12 > would be expected.
13
14 I don't think that project member and commit access have to be
15 all-or-nothing together.
16
17 I'd suggest leaving it up to each team to decide who is allowed to be
18 a member if they're a non-dev, and the rest are just contributor. The
19 team can use whatever rules seems best.
20
21 Project members don't necessarily have formal powers, though typically
22 they participate in elections for the lead.
23
24 As always, if there is trouble there is always comrel or council. I
25 think most teams should be able to figure out who should and shouldn't
26 be acknowledged as a member.
27
28 But, there is still the GLEP 39 issue. I'd suggest the "contributor"
29 label for things like alias members until that is sorted out. There
30 isn't really much distinction in reality.
33 Rich