From: Bob Phan <bob@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Parsable list of all use variables.
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 16:18:47
1 On Thu, 9 May 2002, Francisco Gimeno wrote:
2
3 > El Jue 09 May 2002 18:06, Bob Phan escribió:
4 > > I think it would be a good idea for someone (I could do this if no one
5 > > wants to) to maintain a parsable list of all the use variables, what
6 > > they are for, and which ebuilds use them. This would be useful for
7 > > writing tools that would want to know this information, or even for
8 > > automatic maintenence of a webpage for use variables. CSV or XML
9 > > would be a good format for this. XML may be overkill, expecially for
10 > > someone wanting to write a shell script with acess to this
11 > > information, but XML would also work great for c, perl, python, and
12 > > web maintenence.
13 > >
14 > > I have taken a look at /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc,
15 > > and while useful for users to read, it is not easily parsable.
16 > >
17 > > Any thoughts, suggestions?
18 >
19 > and... going on work... we could make the same to the commands of the ebuild
20 > packages, like dodir, doins, and those... to get them well-documented and in
21 > an ordered way...
22
23 I don't follow? The goal isn't to make an xml ebuild, as I rather
24 like them as shell scripts and it lowers the bar a little for people
25 that wan't to start writing their own. The design goels for what I
26 suggested, is basically a way to keep track of all currently used USE
27 vars. And basically, three things are important about each.
28
29 1) What they are called.
30 2) What they mean.
31 3) Which packages use them.
32
33 I think it would be a valuable resource to have a maintainable and
34 parsable list of these. As it stands, I already have a perl script
35 that can dig out 1 & 2 and dump them into XML. I'm going to tidy it
36 up a bit and probably post it to this group.
39 /*
40 * Bob Phan <bob@××××××××××××××××.net,rphan@××××.com>
41 * Computational Chemistry Informatics
42 * Neurogen Corporation
43 * (203)488-8201 x4645
44 *
45 * To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.
46 */