From: George Shapovalov <georges@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Parsable list of all use variables.
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 17:13:15
1 Isn't there one already?
2 /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
3
4 The format cannot be simpler:
5 usevar - description
6 Is there any problem with parsing that? Even cut -d "-" would do it (not to
7 mention awk and python).
8 This list is not enforced at present (that is if usevar is not listed there it
9 will still be considered valid), but that can change at any moment.
10
11 As for the list of packages that use that var: that is going to be the largest
12 problem. This tends to be very dynamic, also I would be hesitant to put that
13 into use.desc as this will overload it (however technically this is very
14 simple: just add one more delimeter and then list packages using this var
15 (whitspace or comma separated))
16 There was a discussion on introducing IUSE into ebuilds which is supposed to
17 list all use var that ebuild references. However there was not much activity
18 on that. Also it is just possible to scan ebuild for "use XX" clauses and
19 thus extract all referenced usevars.
20 I guess my point is that such back-reference list of packages referencing
21 usevars can easily be dynamically reconstructed, and that I think is better
22 solution than hand-maintained list.
23
24 George