From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 17:10:45
1 On Friday 03 October 2003 11:23 am, Brad Laue wrote:
2 > Brian Jackson wrote:
3 > > USE flags is a bad way to do things, lets say you have 116 patches (the
4 latest
5 > > pfeifer-sources does). If the 32nd patch is optional based on a use flag,
6 it
7 > > could take away parts that a later patch relies on, which would make the
8 > > entire patchset fail. Now obviously this has been working since the
9 current
10 > > gentoo-sources and older pfeifer-sources does this, but it only works
11 because
12 > > all the patches have to be specially diffed in just the right order. At
13 > > present time we don't have the manpower to do this.
16 > Fair enough; three patchsets would probably equal the amount of work
17 > required to maintain three kernels. In that case maybe expanding
18 > gentoo-sources' patchset to cover the fundamentals (it's my
19 > understanding XFS among other things I'm after are in pfeifer-sources,
20 > it's just a matter of getting it out the door).
21
22 livewire is supposed to start working on gs-sources again, though I don't know
23 if it will have everything you are after.
26 > If grsec-sources and others do exist though, I think a lot of the
27 > gentoo-sources stuff should exist as a subset, though - when I switched
28 > from gentoo- to xfs-sources a great deal of iptables functionality was
29 > missing - thankfully grsecurity was still there, though.
30 >
31 > Another good idea would be to document the content of the kernels on
32 > gentoo.org to make it easier to choose from.
33
34 you mean like
35 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/kernel/kernel.xml
36 (linked of the project page, which is in turn linked off the fornt page)
37 and
38 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-kernel.xml
39 (linked off the above kernel page)
42 > Brad