From: Brad Laue <brad@g.o>
To: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:22:04
1 Brian Jackson wrote:
2 > USE flags is a bad way to do things, lets say you have 116 patches (the latest
3 > pfeifer-sources does). If the 32nd patch is optional based on a use flag, it
4 > could take away parts that a later patch relies on, which would make the
5 > entire patchset fail. Now obviously this has been working since the current
6 > gentoo-sources and older pfeifer-sources does this, but it only works because
7 > all the patches have to be specially diffed in just the right order. At
8 > present time we don't have the manpower to do this.
11 Fair enough; three patchsets would probably equal the amount of work
12 required to maintain three kernels. In that case maybe expanding
13 gentoo-sources' patchset to cover the fundamentals (it's my
14 understanding XFS among other things I'm after are in pfeifer-sources,
15 it's just a matter of getting it out the door).
16
17 If grsec-sources and others do exist though, I think a lot of the
18 gentoo-sources stuff should exist as a subset, though - when I switched
19 from gentoo- to xfs-sources a great deal of iptables functionality was
20 missing - thankfully grsecurity was still there, though.
21
22 Another good idea would be to document the content of the kernels on
23 gentoo.org to make it easier to choose from.
24
25 Brad
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list