From: Brian Jackson <iggy@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:34:41
1 On Friday 03 October 2003 04:36 am, Brad Laue wrote:
2 > Just reading the suse-sources thread - good idea, but I have a
3 > suggestion first.
4 >
5 > I think we should wait on the inclusion of anything kernel related into
6 > the CVS tree until some more thought is put into how we're managing our
7 > kernel sources.
8
9 That is the plan.
12 > The kernel team seems to be both the smallest and most behind the times,
13 > and this is sad given that they're one of the most important teams
14 > involved in the project. We're two kernel versions behind (and don't
15 > justify that by claiming 2.4.21 or 2.4.22 had bugs, that doesn't fly),
16 > and show no signs of making it to a 2.4.23 release.
17
18 The team is behind the times or the releases are ;)
19 Seriously though, we are definitely in need of more people, and things are
20 likely to continue to be slow until there are mroe people working on stuff.
23 > The kernel team needs more people. It needs to drastically reduce the
24 > number of kernels in the tree which are of a customized nature
25 > (xfs-sources, gs-sources, wolk-sources) until it can manage
26 > gentoo-sources in a timely fashion. The kernel team needs to build a
27 > subset of patches which form the core of the gentoo kernel. They then
28 > need to enable all the additional features provided by xfs-sources,
29 > wolk-sources and gs-sources on a per-use-flag basis, rather than having
30 > three kernels to manage, each with three different sets of incompatible
31 > patches. There obviously aren't enough resources to manage this.
32
33 There will probably be a few -sources removed. But the decision of what is not
34 made yet.
37 > Optionalizing features through the use of USE flags only makes sense.
38 > This is how all other things are done in Gentoo. I don't have nor do I
39 > intend to create six mozilla ports based on all the different sets of
40 > potentially incompatible USE flags present in the one ebuild, because to
41 > do so would make it impossible to manage. Why is the kernel any
42 > different? Why do many different people manage their own patchsets
43 > without collaborating and sharing resources to keep our official one up
44 > to date?
45
46 USE flags is a bad way to do things, lets say you have 116 patches (the latest
47 pfeifer-sources does). If the 32nd patch is optional based on a use flag, it
48 could take away parts that a later patch relies on, which would make the
49 entire patchset fail. Now obviously this has been working since the current
50 gentoo-sources and older pfeifer-sources does this, but it only works because
51 all the patches have to be specially diffed in just the right order. At
52 present time we don't have the manpower to do this.
55 > Brad.