From: Brad Laue <brad@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Speaking of new kernels being added to the tree
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:35:05
1 Just reading the suse-sources thread - good idea, but I have a
2 suggestion first.
3
4 I think we should wait on the inclusion of anything kernel related into
5 the CVS tree until some more thought is put into how we're managing our
6 kernel sources.
7
8 The kernel team seems to be both the smallest and most behind the times,
9 and this is sad given that they're one of the most important teams
10 involved in the project. We're two kernel versions behind (and don't
11 justify that by claiming 2.4.21 or 2.4.22 had bugs, that doesn't fly),
12 and show no signs of making it to a 2.4.23 release.
13
14 The kernel team needs more people. It needs to drastically reduce the
15 number of kernels in the tree which are of a customized nature
16 (xfs-sources, gs-sources, wolk-sources) until it can manage
17 gentoo-sources in a timely fashion. The kernel team needs to build a
18 subset of patches which form the core of the gentoo kernel. They then
19 need to enable all the additional features provided by xfs-sources,
20 wolk-sources and gs-sources on a per-use-flag basis, rather than having
21 three kernels to manage, each with three different sets of incompatible
22 patches. There obviously aren't enough resources to manage this.
23
24 Optionalizing features through the use of USE flags only makes sense.
25 This is how all other things are done in Gentoo. I don't have nor do I
26 intend to create six mozilla ports based on all the different sets of
27 potentially incompatible USE flags present in the one ebuild, because to
28 do so would make it impossible to manage. Why is the kernel any
29 different? Why do many different people manage their own patchsets
30 without collaborating and sharing resources to keep our official one up
31 to date?
32
33 Brad.
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list