From: Riyad Kalla <rsk@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] portage database management
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 20:23:22
1 agreed
2
3 > -----Original Message-----
4 > From: Alain Penders [mailto:alain@g.o]
5 > Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 12:38 PM
6 > To: gentoo-dev@g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage database management
10 > That's indeed the main problem with XML. If you want to see
11 > the practicality
12 > of this, take a look at Ant (http://ant.apache.org/). Ant is
13 > a Java based
14 > build system, kinda like Makefiles but WAY more powerful.
15 > It's slowly
16 > becoming the defacto standard for building Java projects, and
17 > especially for
18 > large Java projects it's invaluable.
19 >
20 > It defines a project in XML, and comes with a lot of modules
21 > (comparable to
22 > eclasses and the default ebuild commands) which can be used
23 > inside that XML.
24 >
25 > Implementing an ebuild in Ant would be very simple, and
26 > probably with one or
27 > two additional modules one could implement all of portage in
28 > ant. Doing the
29 > latter would be way slower than portage is today though, and
30 > doing the first
31 > requires adding Java... not very useful right now either.
32 >
33 > Looking at the cheer size of Ant -- all the stuff they had to
34 > put in before it
35 > became a really useful system, I'd vote against trying to do
36 > this for portage.
37 > Having an XML definition for each package, yes... replacing
38 > the actual build
39 > code by XML - no.
40 >
41 > My $0.02...