From: Alain Penders <alain@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage database management
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 19:45:40
1 That's indeed the main problem with XML. If you want to see the practicality
2 of this, take a look at Ant (http://ant.apache.org/). Ant is a Java based
3 build system, kinda like Makefiles but WAY more powerful. It's slowly
4 becoming the defacto standard for building Java projects, and especially for
5 large Java projects it's invaluable.
6
7 It defines a project in XML, and comes with a lot of modules (comparable to
8 eclasses and the default ebuild commands) which can be used inside that XML.
9
10 Implementing an ebuild in Ant would be very simple, and probably with one or
11 two additional modules one could implement all of portage in ant. Doing the
12 latter would be way slower than portage is today though, and doing the first
13 requires adding Java... not very useful right now either.
14
15 Looking at the cheer size of Ant -- all the stuff they had to put in before it
16 became a really useful system, I'd vote against trying to do this for portage.
17 Having an XML definition for each package, yes... replacing the actual build
18 code by XML - no.
19
20 My $0.02...
21