From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package file name requirement for binary ebuilds
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 15:11:03
1 On Monday, October 17, 2016 11:01:40 AM EDT Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 17/10/16 10:54 AM, Michael Mol wrote:
3 > > There's also firefox-bin, which gets built upstream with profile-guided
4 > > optimizations enabled. PGO is unsupported outside of upstream's build
5 > > process, last I checked...but that was a few years ago.
6 >
7 > Mozilla project has a dev that's supporting PGO builds in the source
8 > package now.
9 >
10 > That said, the primary reason why the mozilla *-bin packages exist in
11 > Gentoo is because that's all that upstream officially supports.
12
13 There you go, I had NO idea that was an upstream binary. I thought it was the
14 same as firefox from source. I assumed a Gentoo developer built and packaged
15 that. I did not assume it was an official binary.
16
17 The only way for users to know is to investigate...
20 William L. Thomson Jr.