From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Interaction in ebuilds - bad idea?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 16:25:19
1 On Saturday 01 May 2004 17:03, Wazow wrote:
2 > Actually I do not understand why some applications can't live without
3 > interactive setup. Can anybody explain it better?
4 >
5 > Andrzej
6
7 The scenario that interests me is where you have multiple sites hosted on a
8 single box. This requires support for installing multiple copies of the same
9 application (which is what webapp-config does for us) - and each of these
10 copies needs to use a different database and/or different table names.
11
12 At the moment, we deal with this by having pkg_postinst() output instructions
13 as to how to setup the database by hand. If the ebuild knew which database
14 to manipulate, we'd be one step closer to automating this process.
15
16 In this scenario, ideas like adding new variables to make.conf simply do not
17 scale. What we'll probably end up doing is making it possible to query a
18 per-vhost set of configuration values through the vhost-config tool, and
19 providing a static default for desktop/single-host servers.
20
21 Best regards,
22 Stu
23 --
24 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
25 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
26 Missed the php|cruise? http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/cruise-2004/
27
28 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
29 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
30 --