From: Wazow <wazow@××××××.pl>
To: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Interaction in ebuilds - bad idea?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 16:06:21
1 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o> writes:
2 > Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 >> Like I said, it would only have to ask for information that wasn't available
5 >> from the cache of answers. Provided there was a tool to pre-edit the cache -
6 >> something I suggested earlier - then your scenarios would work.
7 >
8 > I would agree with Marius in saying that ebuilds should not by default
9
10 > I dislike the idea of a cache because it makes the configuration data
11 > more obscure to the user.
12
13 In fact the idea of cache is extremely bad. It would create something
14 like global registry of settings which will overwrite my grand setup at
15 every emerge. No thank you.
16
17 I think I like non-interactive emerge a lot, but I would like it to
18 present all requests for configurations etc in more coherent way. For
19 instance they should be gathered in a single log or, even better, send
20 to the end of the whole emerge output (once for all packages). Current
21 distribution (of often crucial information) across heaps of messages
22 does not make much sense.
23
24 Actually I do not understand why some applications can't live without
25 interactive setup. Can anybody explain it better?
26
27 Andrzej
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list