From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Interaction in ebuilds - bad idea?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 03:36:57
1 Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o> writes:
2
3 > Like I said, it would only have to ask for information that wasn't available
4 > from the cache of answers. Provided there was a tool to pre-edit the cache -
5 > something I suggested earlier - then your scenarios would work.
6
7 I would agree with Marius in saying that ebuilds should not by default
8 be interactive. Furthermore, I dislike the idea of a cache because it
9 makes the configuration data more obscure to the user. Provided that
10 the generic facility of package-specific environment variables in the
11 same style as package-specific USE flags is added to Portage,
12 environment variables specified in /etc/portage/whatever are sufficient
13 for specifying the configuration.
14
15 It would be useful for ebuilds to be able to specify a check function
16 which runs prior to merging any packages (possibly based on an option to
17 emerge). This would allow the ebuild to fail immediately, informing the
18 user of what is required, if a valid configuration is not specified in
19 environment variables. Furthermore, I would like to see immediate
20 failure if a license must be explicitly accepted and is not in
21 ACCEPT_LICENSES; I find the interactive prompting to accept licenses
22 problematic for the same reasons as interactive configuration prompting
23 is problematic.
26 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list