From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Interaction in ebuilds - bad idea?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 00:19:48
1 On Saturday 01 May 2004 01:13, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > Oh, dear. I'm afraid I wasn't very clear about what I meant. I didn't
3 > mean that it's hard to write an interactive script, of course that's
4 > reasonably straightforward. What I was trying, rather poorly, to say
5 > was that one of the long-time tenets of Gentoo has always been that it
6 > should be possible for people to write simple scripts to _install_
7 > ebuilds. For example, somebody should be able to write a poor-man's
8 > "kickstart" that would build and install a desired set of ebuilds,
9 > perhaps with customized USE flags. Or use cfengine to install a
10 > particular well-tested ebuild on one hundred machines. To the best of
11 > my knowledge having interactive ebuilds would make _that_ sort of
12 > scripting much more difficult.
13 >
14 > Does that make more sense?
15
16 Yup.
17
18 Like I said, it would only have to ask for information that wasn't available
19 from the cache of answers. Provided there was a tool to pre-edit the cache -
20 something I suggested earlier - then your scenarios would work.
21
22 Best regards,
23 Stu
24 --
25 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
26 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
27 Missed the php|cruise? http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/cruise-2004/
28
29 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
30 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C