From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Interaction in ebuilds - bad idea?
Date: Sat, 01 May 2004 00:13:51
1 On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 12:40:55AM +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > > We have always strenuously resisted making ebuilds interactive because
3 > > interactive ebuilds are impossible (or at least very hard) to script.
4 >
5 > Why?
6 >
7 > Interactive install scripts are older than any surviving Linux distribution.
8 >
9 > I think the easiest way to put this case forward is going to be a patch
10 > demonstrating it actually working.
11
12 Oh, dear. I'm afraid I wasn't very clear about what I meant. I didn't
13 mean that it's hard to write an interactive script, of course that's
14 reasonably straightforward. What I was trying, rather poorly, to say
15 was that one of the long-time tenets of Gentoo has always been that it
16 should be possible for people to write simple scripts to _install_
17 ebuilds. For example, somebody should be able to write a poor-man's
18 "kickstart" that would build and install a desired set of ebuilds,
19 perhaps with customized USE flags. Or use cfengine to install a
20 particular well-tested ebuild on one hundred machines. To the best of
21 my knowledge having interactive ebuilds would make _that_ sort of
22 scripting much more difficult.
23
24 Does that make more sense?
25
26 Best,
27 g2boojum
28 --
29 Grant Goodyear
30 Gentoo Developer
31 g2boojum@g.o
32 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
33 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76