From: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Current Gentoo Git setup / man-in-the-middle attacks
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 19:25:07
1 On Sun, 29 Mar 2015 23:35:54 +0600
2 "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <mva@×××.name> wrote:
3
4 > Despite of all you're talking about is right from paranoid point of
5 > view, I'd, anyway, say "DO NOT DO THAT", because you propose to
6 > revoke the right of choice from the users.
7
8 A "right of choice" from the user only makes sense if there is a
9 reasonable choice.
10
11 Just to take this to the extreme: Should we add a heartbleed-enabled
12 version of openssl back to the portage tree? It's the choice of the
13 user if they want to have heartbleed enabled, right?
14
15 If there is no disadvantage for the more secure protocols then there is
16 no need for a choice.
17
18 > Moreover, there are some times where it is impossible to fetch
19 > sources via "secure" way, but you need it right here and right now.
20
21 This has been said before, also in the thread about the webpage. Can
22 you say what times that would be?
23 Basically these days it's not possible to use the mainstream internet
24 without https (you can't search google or log into facebook without
25 https).
26 I'd really like to hear of any real world situation where this is an
27 issue.
30 Hanno Böck
31 http://hboeck.de/
32