From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Council meeting summary for 10 July 2008
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:59:02
1 Doug Goldstein wrote:
2
3 > Tiziano Müller wrote:
4 >> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
7 >>> Hi all,
8 >>>
9 >>> Here is the summary from Thursday's council meeting. The complete log
10 >>> will show up at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/ shortly.
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> wrt GLEP 56:
15 >>
16 >> i) I don't see a specification when use.local.desc is finally going to be
17 >> dropped
18 >> ii) Why not switch to XML for use.desc as well? (just to be consequent)
19 >> We could then use XInclude in a package's metadata.xml to include a
20 >> global use.desc.xml in <use>...</use>
21 >> (The requirements could then be changed to: the USE flags description has
22 >> to be written in the packages metadata.xml)
26 > Incremental steps are better then one huge sweeping change. It'll allow
27 > us to evaluate the needs and goals of the project as we move forward.
28 I agree.
29
30 > The big concern with dropping use.desc is that multiple USE flags that
31 > do the same thing will start to pop up across the whole tree because
32 > developers won't know that a USE flag already exists for feature X.
33 I'd not drop use.desc, I'd substitute it with an XML-based file using a
34 similar (or the same) syntax as metadata.xml.
35 But instead of having the package manager (or other tools operating with USE
36 flags/USE flag descriptions) to lookup in either a package's metadata.xml
37 _or_ a global use.desc.xml, I'd use XInclude in metadata.xml (which then
38 includes the global use.desc.xml) such that the package manager (or other
39 tools) just have to consider a package's metadata.xml.
40 This approach would make it possible to have more than one use.desc.xml.
41 For example for kde or gnome related global USE-flags: kde.use.desc.xml or
42 gnome.use.desc.xml.
46 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list