From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Council meeting summary for 10 July 2008
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 18:50:39
1 Tiziano Müller wrote:
2 > Doug Goldstein wrote:
5 >> Tiziano Müller wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> Donnie Berkholz wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>>> Hi all,
12 >>>>
13 >>>> Here is the summary from Thursday's council meeting. The complete log
14 >>>> will show up at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/ shortly.
15 >>>>
16 >>>>
17 >>>>
18 >>> wrt GLEP 56:
19 >>>
20 >>> i) I don't see a specification when use.local.desc is finally going to be
21 >>> dropped
22 >>> ii) Why not switch to XML for use.desc as well? (just to be consequent)
23 >>> We could then use XInclude in a package's metadata.xml to include a
24 >>> global use.desc.xml in <use>...</use>
25 >>> (The requirements could then be changed to: the USE flags description has
26 >>> to be written in the packages metadata.xml)
27 >>>
28 >>>
29 >>>
30 >>>
31 >> Incremental steps are better then one huge sweeping change. It'll allow
32 >> us to evaluate the needs and goals of the project as we move forward.
33 >>
34 > I agree.
37 >> The big concern with dropping use.desc is that multiple USE flags that
38 >> do the same thing will start to pop up across the whole tree because
39 >> developers won't know that a USE flag already exists for feature X.
40 >>
41 > I'd not drop use.desc, I'd substitute it with an XML-based file using a
42 > similar (or the same) syntax as metadata.xml.
43 > But instead of having the package manager (or other tools operating with USE
44 > flags/USE flag descriptions) to lookup in either a package's metadata.xml
45 > _or_ a global use.desc.xml, I'd use XInclude in metadata.xml (which then
46 > includes the global use.desc.xml) such that the package manager (or other
47 > tools) just have to consider a package's metadata.xml.
48 > This approach would make it possible to have more than one use.desc.xml.
49 > For example for kde or gnome related global USE-flags: kde.use.desc.xml or
50 > gnome.use.desc.xml.
51 >
52 If you write the code....
53
54 That's the biggest issue with features and ideas people propose. No one
55 is willing to sit down and write the code necessary. Look at how many
56 GLEPs set unimplemented because of lack of code.
57
58 This also involves increasing the XML support in every package manager,
59 which is not going to be a small undertaking.
60 --
61 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list