From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [warning] the bug queue has 118 bugs
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 21:12:12
1 On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 23:31:28 +0100
4 > Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Well, before I became developer, I had a quite unproductive
7 > > discussion on IRC with Jeroen on that matter (jer opting for status
8 > > quo and telling me I have no idea what bug wrangling is :P)
9 >
10 > I have no idea what you are talking about.
13 I'd like to turn this discussion into a more productive direction (let's
14 wrangle bugs, and not argue over who said what to who when).
15
16 First, I'd like to say thanks to those who put a great deal of care into
17 bug-wrangling, and I think all will agree that Jer does a LOT in this
18 regard. It is very clear to me that when bugs get assigned to me that
19 they've generally been well-triaged and I'm sure that a lot of cruft gets
20 pruned before I even get an email.
21
22 That said, part of me wants to think aloud about whether we're
23 over-investing in triaging bugs in the queue and this is leading to the
24 queue getting out of hand. The problem I see with our current bug-wrangling
25 procedures (as documented on the official site) is that they seem a bit
26 daunting to me. I see this problem at work all the time - procedures that
27 are very complex either need to be an assigned job, or they need to be
28 simplified. If they remain complex but free-for-all then nobody wants to
29 touch them, since nobody gets yelled at individually if they don't step in,
30 but if they step in and mess up suddenly they have egg on their face.
31
32 Something that might help would be a "one touch" bug queue (think Getting
33 Things Done). Wrangler looks at bug, and bug ends up in one of two
34 categories IMMEDIATELY:
35 1. Bug has required info and can be assigned to a maintainer. Go ahead and
36 assign.
37 2. Bug is missing required info or seems vague. Immediately add a comment
38 stating what is needed, with link to website with bug submission procedure
39 that wasn't followed, and resolve invalid. Comment should welcome submitter
40 to re-open with the required info.
41
42 This gets stale bugs out of the queue without a lot of fuss. It also means
43 that everything in the queue needs attention and nobody spends time reading
44 a bug just to find out that it is stuck and needs no attention by a
45 wrangler.
46
47 Also - I think we need to make other forms of triage a best-effort sort of
48 activity. If a wrangler wants to try to triage a bug they should be welcome
49 to try. If a wrangler notices a dup, they are welcome to handle
50 accordingly. If a wrangler misses a dup or doesn't do triage, that is fine
51 too, as long as they either resolve invalid or assign. That does mean a bit
52 more bugspam for downstream devs, but it is pretty easy for me to spot dups
53 for the packages I'm most familiar with, and it is much harder for a
54 wrangler to spot them across the entire tree.
55
56 The overall goal is to make wrangling simple, but still a value-add. We can
57 leave room for those who want to do more. If we end up with a big pool of
58 serious wranglers they can just post on -dev saying that they've got things
59 under control and then those less serious about it can step out and allow
60 for more triage. When the wranglers get underwater everybody else can step
61 in and quickly clean up.
62
63 I guess the question is whether the resulting shorter queue and lower
64 latency is worth the tradeoff in having package maintainers get a few extra
65 bugs that might have been avoided in triage. I'd be interested in Jer's
66 perspective on how many bugs get squashed during triage.
67
68 Thoughts?
69
70 Rich