From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: What means bup?
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 13:43:57
1 On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 10:59:40 -0400
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
5 > So e.g.:
6 >
7 > "Bump to x.y.z for bug 12345"?
8 >
9 > Is there an annotation for "this commit is relevant to bug X, but does not
10 > close bug X?"
11 >
12 > I'm less sure we need the metadata all in the summary (because its supposed
13 > to be a summary.)
14 > If the commits are annotated (Closes: bugX, BugRef: bugX...) we can amend
15 > the tools to look at the annotatoins and not hand parse the summary.
16 > It also helps for linkification.
17
18 Well, yes, there's a limit to the summary length anyway that repoman
19 enforces ;)
20
21 But the point being to *maximise* the use of this "summary" message,
22 and make good use of the "body" section of the "commit message".
23
24 And there's already annotations for this in the body section,
25
26 Bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/123456
27
28 ( This references but does not close )
29
30 Closes: https://bugs.gentoo.org/123456
31
32 ( This closes )
33
34 In the summary line, you don't really need to clarify if it closes or not.
35
36 Much of the benefit is knowing wilikins will see that message in
37 #gentoo-commits, and then cite the entire bug summary in response.
38 ( Including its current status of closed/open )
42 > > If I made changes in the ebuild in the bump itself, I'll attempt to
43 > > describe the nature of those changes (from the perspective of the
44 > > consumer)'
47 > You don't do that in the shortlog though..right? There is very little room.
48
49 See above.
52 > Just for clarity, this all sounds like "changelog" stuff; are we still
53 > generating changelogs from git commit descriptions? If so, this all seems
54 > on the up and up to me.
55
56 Generated changelogs are something that we were supposed to have, but
57 they got culled from rsync tree for a host of reasons. ( One being they
58 weren't generated in reverse-chronological order, which made them a
59 boon to read )
60
61 But I still find having it documented useful even without this feature
62 ( In the long term, we may find our users collectively start to prefer
63 git to rsync, and having good change notes makes that even better for
64 them )