From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: What means bup?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 14:59:59
1 On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 10:27 PM Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 17:45:27 -0500
4 > Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On 18-09-24 09:27:57, Kent Fredric wrote:
7 > > > On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:36:23 -0500
8 > > > Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
9 > > > > My hand slipped. What ever happened to assuming the best :( Are you
10 > > > > going to ping the list every time my hand slips up and I mistype
11 > > > > something? Not sure you'll have time for it :P
12 > > >
13 > > > Personally, I would love it if more people tried harder to provide
14 > > > meaningful commit messages.
15 > > >
16 > > > "bup" vs "bump" isn't really achieving much, just one of the two are
17 > > > substantially more egregious.
18 > > >
19 > > > Perhaps, if the commit messages were crafted with clarity as their
20 > > > intent, the consequence of accidental typos would be much more
21 > > > inconsequential.
22 > > >
23 > > > ( I seriously think we could do with a *little* more chiding here than
24 > > > we generally see, but like, I'm typically just biting my tongue every
25 > > > time somebody doesn't invest any more effort than to write the word
26 > > > "bump" in their text editor when committing with repoman, cos I really
27 > > > don't want to be a dick about it. There's room for more than 4
28 > > > characters and a space in the subject, and infinitely more space in the
29 > > > body, why do we have to choose the least clear of all options? )
30 > > >
31 > > > Occasional accidents are still gonna happen, but it would be nice if we
32 > > > didn't define accidents and siblings of accidents as the status quo.
33 > > >
34 > >
35 > > What would you rather see for when a package is bumped (that is, simply
36 > > copying the ebuild and editing the keywords)?
39 > I personally try to use something of the form:
40 >
41 > "Bump version to 12.234.1567"
42 >
43 > Mostly, because it gives some vaguely useful context when reading a
44 > commit summary log, that doesn't necessitate you running "git log -p"
45 > or "git diff" to find out what actually changed.
46 >
47 > This lends itself to good user-feedback mechanisms when the log is
48 > relayed via IRC on #gentoo-commits, and allows one to determine what's
49 > going on at-a-glance via gitweb.
52 > If the version bump is in response to a bug request, I'll try to
53 > mention that in the subject too.
56 So e.g.:
57
58 "Bump to x.y.z for bug 12345"?
59
60 Is there an annotation for "this commit is relevant to bug X, but does not
61 close bug X?"
62
63 I'm less sure we need the metadata all in the summary (because its supposed
64 to be a summary.)
65 If the commits are annotated (Closes: bugX, BugRef: bugX...) we can amend
66 the tools to look at the annotatoins and not hand parse the summary.
67 It also helps for linkification.
71 > If I made changes in the ebuild in the bump itself, I'll attempt to
72 > describe the nature of those changes (from the perspective of the
73 > consumer)'
76 You don't do that in the shortlog though..right? There is very little room.
80 > And where possible, I attempt to summarize the nature of the changes
81 > between our largest in-tree version and the new version, as far as
82 > upstream changes are concerned.
83 >
84 > Eg: if version went from 1.0 to 1.3, but 1.1-1.2 existed,
85 > I'll attempt a summary for the imagined user upgrading from 1.0 to 1.3.
86 > If for instance something is added in 1.1 and then redacted in 1.2,
87 > there's no need to mention that in 1.0 -> 1.3.
88 >
89 > I Try to think of it as "a list of reasons why a user might want to
90 > upgrade, or might want to avoid upgrading" from a context of "xxx
91 > changed, if you were using this your code might break" or "xxx is new,
92 > if you need this, you need to upgrade"
95 > All of this is "nice to have" stuff I'd try to gently nudge others into
96 > the direction of, in effort to provide useful information to not only
97 > our users, but to other developers, and our future selves looking back
98 > in the history trying to ascertain the importance of a given version.
99 >
100 > Achieving all of the above is of course not always possible, sometimes
101 > there are too many changes to summarize, or upstream is made of too
102 > much insane for you to assess the differences, that's life.
105 Just for clarity, this all sounds like "changelog" stuff; are we still
106 generating changelogs from git commit descriptions? If so, this all seems
107 on the up and up to me.
111 > But you can imagine how I get *just* a little bit frustrated when this
112 > is the sort of direction I'm trying to aspire towards, but what I'm
113 > seeing on the list is debates about "bup" vs "bump" :)