From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 18:01:21
1 On Thursday 18 May 2006 17:44, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Thu, 18 May 2006 16:50:59 +0200
3 >
4 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
5 > > This is not a reason. It is just repeating what I just said. Which
6 > > features does paludis have for its VDB format. And (per feature) why
7 > > can't this be done in a compatible way.
8 >
9 > We store more information than Portage in VDB, to remove the reliance
10 > that current Portage has on certain parts of the tree being immutable
11 > and in order to support multiple repositories properly (there is no
12 > longer a single place to look for, say, eclass data at uninstall time).
13
14 Is there any reason that this extra information can not be added in such a way
15 that portage will just silently ignore it. Which changes to portage would be
16 required to make it ignore it (but silently remove it when a package is
17 removed).
18
19 > We also construct VDB entries for old-style virtuals, which will
20 > confuse Portage.
21
22 Is there no way in which portage could be made to ignore this. Or to not
23 create these entries (as portage can work without them). Being compatible
24 with portage can mean extending portage such that compatibility is easier.
25
26 > > Two primary package managers is nonsensical. You ask for support in
27 > > the tree for paludis, meaning that you don't want to be unsupported
28 > > third party either. This leaves that you aim at paludis possibly
29 > > becomming a portage replacement.
30 >
31 > At present I ask not for support, but for a minor addition for
32 > convenience purposes.
33
34 One that has more disadvantages than advantages as already pointed out.
35
36 Paul
39 Paul de Vrieze
40 Gentoo Developer