From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 15:45:40
1 On Thu, 18 May 2006 16:50:59 +0200
2 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > This is not a reason. It is just repeating what I just said. Which
5 > features does paludis have for its VDB format. And (per feature) why
6 > can't this be done in a compatible way.
7
8 We store more information than Portage in VDB, to remove the reliance
9 that current Portage has on certain parts of the tree being immutable
10 and in order to support multiple repositories properly (there is no
11 longer a single place to look for, say, eclass data at uninstall time).
12 We also construct VDB entries for old-style virtuals, which will
13 confuse Portage.
14
15 > What do you want then? Paludis does not aim to be compatible with
16 > portage, so this disqualifies paludis as a secondary package manager.
17
18 It aims to be compatible with the tree. As far as I know, it succeeds
19 as things currently stand.
20
21 > Two primary package managers is nonsensical. You ask for support in
22 > the tree for paludis, meaning that you don't want to be unsupported
23 > third party either. This leaves that you aim at paludis possibly
24 > becomming a portage replacement.
25
26 At present I ask not for support, but for a minor addition for
27 convenience purposes.
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list