From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:58:24
1 On Thursday 18 May 2006 15:58, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:26:06 +0200
3 >
4 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Then copy the bloody profile, or temporarilly add some magic in
6 > > paludis that ignores portage and python deps. Not that hard to do.
7 > > While not so beautiful it can easilly be removed at a later stage.
8 >
9 > And if something really does require python?
10 >
11 > > How far does that spread? Is this only for packages merged by
12 > > paludis, or does it spread? And what reasons are there for paludis
13 > > not to have a vdb format that will not confuse portage.
14 >
15 > A VDB entry created by Paludis can't be read by Portage. A VDB entry
16 > created by Portage can.
17
18 This is not a reason. It is just repeating what I just said. Which
19 features does paludis have for its VDB format. And (per feature) why
20 can't this be done in a compatible way.
23 > > It is very important that package managers coexist with portage. This
24 > > allows testing of that package manager, but also the testing of a
25 > > package / eclass on different package managers. It would be
26 > > irrealistic to require devs to have a different installation just for
27 > > testing packages with paludis/pkgcore.
28 >
29 > Who's requiring devs to test anything?
30
31 If I am to be a responsible package manager I have to test my package
32 before I commit it into the repository. At a point where paludis has a
33 status different from totally unsupported, this includes testing it with
34 paludis next to testing it with portage.
35
36 Besides this, to make an informed decision about granting paludis some
37 more than totally unsupported status it is necessary to first test
38 paludis. I, and I think many other devs with me, am reluctant to create a
39 whole new tree to test out paludis. I also do not want to copy my whole
40 tree to test it.
43 > > So you are asking to go towards replacing portage with a package
44 > > manager that is not under gentoo control?
45 >
46 > Nowhere are we asking for anything to replace Portage as the primary
47 > Gentoo package manager.
48
49 What do you want then? Paludis does not aim to be compatible with portage,
50 so this disqualifies paludis as a secondary package manager. Two primary
51 package managers is nonsensical. You ask for support in the tree for
52 paludis, meaning that you don't want to be unsupported third party
53 either. This leaves that you aim at paludis possibly becomming a portage
54 replacement.
55
56 Paul
59 Paul de Vrieze