From: Corvus Corax <corvus-ml@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do we want optimal performance?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 12:04:02
1 Am Wed, 8 Sep 2004 13:29:01 +0200
2 schrieb Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>:
3
4 > ...
5 >
6 > To do this for programs, one would need to have a realistic suite of
7 > "tests" that simulate the real world use of the application. Of course
8 > that also allows -fprofile_arcs to be used.
9 >
10 > Paul
13 depending on the type of program - for easy command line converter tools, an
14 easy "time" command would be sufficient (used that to determine potential (in
15 code) optimizations for my motiontrack stuff)
16
17 however for libraries like QT or gtk which affect on screen performace of gui
18 programs - both run-time and load - this will get much harder.
19
20 Maybe one could program a test-suite for each library that fires each function
21 once and times them, along with a flag saved before startup to determine load
22 time - but it would have to be done for every huge library.
23
24 And finally the timing of interactive programs itself - well, usually most time
25 goes while waiting for user input anyway, but there are timing critical tasks,
26 too, imagine pattern searches or other big db operatins - or file load/save in
27 openoffice, picture effects in gimp and such.
28 those could maybe timed by doing them on a real huge data blog, where the single
29 operation takes that long, that the user can measure it manually with a
30 stopwatch.
31 If the operation takes 40 seconds, and you can gain 3 seconds by
32 optimisations, it is a blunt measurable improvement. However I dont like that
33 idea, maybe one can time the operation by watching tmp files in background or
34 something like this.
35
36 Or the maintainer could go into the code and insert some debug lines to print
37 timing information to stderr or such. But this would be way to much work for
38 most maintainers and most software isnt it ?
39
40 (Well I still could do it on my own software and tell the maintainer the
41 result;)
44 just some thoughts...
45
46 regards