From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Do we want optimal performance?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 11:31:33
1 On Wednesday 08 September 2004 12:15, Klavs Klavsen wrote:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > Just read an interesting article about Xeon vs. Opteron from anandtech
5 > - where they really show how much difference compile optimizations (or
6 > not) does - and how it differs for different programs for different
7 > processors.
8 >
9 > http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2163&p=1
10 >
11 > To me this clearly shows, that if Gentoo wants the best performance -
12 > we can't use a "one cflags fits them all" approach. I do know that if a
13 > program breaks, those CFLAGS are pulled out in the individual ebuild,
14 > but this is not due to poor performance.
15 >
16 > IMHO the only way for Gentoo to prove its true potential - is to
17 > somehow build an array of compile options, with CPU's on X, programs on
18 > Y and GCC-version on Z. Getting the numbers for each CPU, will ofcourse
19 > require writing tests, for each program - but IMHO this can be done, if
20 > we do it one at a time.
21 >
22 > I would suggest these tests be included like the gentoo-stats program,
23 > as something the individual Gentooist can choose to run after each
24 > compile - which would give him the optimal performance (and recompile X
25 > number of times to test different flags out) on his
26 > CPU/program/GCCversion combination, and at the same time, send the
27 > result to a Gentoo database.
28 >
29 > I know I would definetely have the patience to let it test and test
30 > again, if it meant more performance for me Smile
31 >
32 > The end result should be, that Gentoo automagically selects the optimal
33 > CFLAGS (in performance and stability - perhaps with some optimizations
34 > flagged as "unstable" so people can select "optimize for performance"
35 > vs. "optimize for stability") depending on the X, Y and Z from above.
36 >
37 > I would very much like to be one of the guys that gets the ball
38 > rolling, but as I'm not a Gentoo Dev - We (or just I) need to agree
39 > with the Gentoo Dev's on how this could best be done.
40 >
41 > What do you think? am I crazy? It seems to me that the anandtech tests
42 > shows that it is more than just a 1% or 2% difference, with the right
43 > CFLAGS - and that the right CFLAGS for one program, can be the worst
44 > for another on same CPU/GCC combination.
45
46 To do this for programs, one would need to have a realistic suite of
47 "tests" that simulate the real world use of the application. Of course
48 that also allows -fprofile_arcs to be used.
49
50 Paul
53 Paul de Vrieze
54 Gentoo Developer