From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Looking for a solution to the distutils/setuptools .egg-info mess
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 18:24:00
2 > TL;DR: how to deal with setuptools (and newer distutils vendored by
3 > setuptools) replacing .egg-info files with directories?
4
5 > I should probably emphasize here that the .egg-info path contains
6 > the package version, so this is a problem only if the same upstream
7 > version is being reinstalled.
8 >
9 > You can easily reproduce the problem by playing with:
10 >
11 > SETUPTOOLS_USE_DISTUTILS=stdlib
12 > SETUPTOOLS_USE_DISTUTILS=local # vendored
13
14 > 2. We could control the distutils version in ebuilds directly,
15 > i.e. force "stdlib" for the current versions and have developers switch
16 > to "local" on version bumps. Combined with 1., this will probably
17 > increase the coverage a bit but dead packages will remain in the way.
18 > It also relies on all devs understanding the problem.
19
20 How about switching it with a new Python version?
21 (since that is also in the path...)
24 Andreas K. Hüttel
25 dilfridge@g.o
26 Gentoo Linux developer
27 (council, toolchain, base-system, perl, libreoffice)