From: Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Optional Package Dependencies for netscape-flash -> libflashsupport
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 19:22:53
1 Olivier Crête wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2007-11-05 at 12:12 -0600, Jim Ramsay wrote:
3 > > Josh Saddler wrote:
4 > > > Jim Ramsay wrote:
5 > > > > I suppose I could also propose:
6 > > > >
7 > > > > 4) netscape-flash just RDEPENDS on libflashsupport all the time.
8 > > > > It's certainly not a large library to be added on.
9 > > > >
10 > > >
11 > > > That is a terrible idea. Don't make it "depend" on something that
12 > > > it clearly does *not* depend on. Flash works just fine without the
13 > > > optional add-ons, and those are *definitely* optional. I've never
14 > > > needed libflashsupport and would prefer not seeing useless cruft
15 > > > attached to a perfectly working Flash installation.
16 > >
17 > > Point taken - If you don't want the extra features you don't want
18 > > libflashsupport at all.
19 > >
20 > > I could make it so that if all of the USE flags for libflashsupport
21 > > are turned off it doesn't actually install the library at all, just
22 > > gets added to the list of installed packages.
23 > >
24 > > > If you're going to add it to USE, then make sure it's *not* on by
25 > > > default, thanks.
26 > >
27 > > This way it will adhere to your current set of global USE flags. If
28 > > you have pulseaudio, esd, oss, ssl, or gnutls on globally, it will
29 > > install libflashsupport with the appropriate hooks in it. If they
30 > > are all off (either globally or specifically for libflashsupport)
31 > > you will just get the same old netscape-flash with no add-ons.
32 > >
33 > > Is this a worthy compromise?
34 >
35 > This seems even worse.. I think either having one local use flag in
36 > netscape-flash is probably the best solution.. The second best is to
37 > have all of the use flags and RDEPEND on flash-support if any is
38 > enabled.
39
40 Can you explain what you mean by "even worse"? I think my latest
41 solution is more correct than any of the others yet proposed. In fact,
42 here's another small improvement on it:
43
44 Have netscape-flash with IUSE="vanilla" (by default it is off), which
45 when enabled will not pull in libflashsupport.
46
47 This meets the following goals:
48
49 1) It makes it easy for "regular" users to get netscape-flash with any
50 additions required by any global USE flags in exactly one step:
51 - emerge netscape-flash
52 This is my #1 goal, otherwise I'd just have 'libflashsupport' as its
53 own separate package and those "in the know" would install it
54 separately if they want any of the extra features. But users should not
55 have to have special knowledge to get the features they have already
56 enabled in their global USE flags.
57
58 2) It makes it easy for "power" users to not have libflashsupport
59 actually install anything by disabling all the USE flags. This will
60 take 3 steps:
61 - Notice at upgrade or install time that there's this new 'extra'
62 package being installed
63 - Enable the 'vanilla' flag for netscape-flash
64 - Continue with upgrade or install
65
66 Also, having all of the ssl/gnutls/pulseaudio/esd/oss flags turned off
67 for libflashsupport will have the effect of not actually installing the
68 library, so the only added cost there is one more entry in the list of
69 installed packages, which I hope you will agree is basically zero.
72 Jim Ramsay
73 Gentoo/Linux Developer (rox,gkrellm)