From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:08:06
1 On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:33:55 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 [...]
4 > This all is going into some bickering nonsense and noise made by
5 > systemd haters just to feed their troll, FUD and whatever else they
6 > made around here.
7 >
8 > So, yes, we should definitely switch to semi-maintained,
9 > semi-documented fork made plainly of systemd hate. Because certainly
10 > project that is created plainly for political reasons is better.
11 > Because it will certainly be technically better if people have to
12 > focus on copying regular udev maintainers and reworking their changes
13 > to keep them working on forked codebase.
14 >
15 > And after all, as someone said, this will give eudev proper testing.
16 > Because why default to something tested and working when you can throw
17 > your random fork on our users. After all, if we force them to use it,
18 > they will eventually start co-maintaining it, and it will no longer be
19 > semi-maintained!
20
21 keep cool; eudev has its merits, I'm just trying to figure out what is
22 a real one and what is a pure guess on the future. For me, the main
23 advantage for eudev is the loose coupling with the kernel, which we
24 have no way to control/force in gentoo, and in some worlds (embedded)
25 it is often, unfortunately, not even an option to use a recent kernel.
26
27 Alexis.