From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn" <chithanh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 19:34:16
1 On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 20:14:03 +0100
2 Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Alexis Ballier schrieb:
5 > > I also fail to see how udev using a new linux ipc would make it require
6 > > systemd. Quoting Lennart:
7 > > "You need the userspace code to set up the bus and its policy and handle
8 > > activation. That's not a trivial task. For us, that's what sytemd does
9 > > in PID 1. You'd need to come up with an alternative for that."
10 > >
11 > > If it's just that, it's not limited to udev, but anything using
12 > > kdbus/bus1, and would mean openrc/${favorite init system} will have to
13 > > do the same thing anyway. But again, almost 2 years is extremely
14 > > old considering all the flux that has been around kbus.
15 >
16 > OpenRC itself can for now just ignore kdbus, bus1, or whatever kernel
17 > IPC system comes next. But if upstream udev makes use of the systemd
18 > userspace interface to the kernel IPC system, then OpenRC would have to
19 > implement the same interface in order to have working udev.
20 >
21 > Also given the close relationship between systemd and udev, there is no
22 > guarantee that supporting other users of kdbus/bus1 will make udev
23 > automagically work. As these two are released together, there is no
24 > reason to have a stable, public API between them.
25
26 This all is going into some bickering nonsense and noise made by
27 systemd haters just to feed their troll, FUD and whatever else they
28 made around here.
29
30 So, yes, we should definitely switch to semi-maintained,
31 semi-documented fork made plainly of systemd hate. Because certainly
32 project that is created plainly for political reasons is better.
33 Because it will certainly be technically better if people have to focus
34 on copying regular udev maintainers and reworking their changes to keep
35 them working on forked codebase.
36
37 And after all, as someone said, this will give eudev proper testing.
38 Because why default to something tested and working when you can throw
39 your random fork on our users. After all, if we force them to use it,
40 they will eventually start co-maintaining it, and it will no longer be
41 semi-maintained!
44 Best regards,
45 Michał Górny
46 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>