From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: perl@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Perl: please don't delete packlists
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 05:23:37
1 On 9 September 2012 15:53, Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de> wrote:
2 > I think Gentoo of all distributions should aim to provide software as
3 > "original" as possible. If there are any reasons that I have ignored so
4 > far why people would want the current behavior, how about I make this
5 > patch conditional on a new use flag?
6
7 I'd suggest not a USE flag, at least, not at present, it would
8 needlessly require all ebuilds to have that useflag, which would be a
9 significant noise to users.
10
11 I'd rather a documented( in the eclass ) ENV variable that could
12 toggle this behaviour that was /not/ a use-flag, so only people who
13 cared about that sort of behaviour could adjust it.
14
15 Then the question is only really as to what a "Sane default" is. Seems
16 the sane default is to install packlists, but have it being
17 disable-able by ENV change for the people who have the tuits to know
18 "I'll never need those, and if I do, I can handle the need to rebuild
19 everything with them".
20
21 Additionally, it /might/ be nice if we could have a 3rd party ( Gentoo
22 ) tool that reads a dists CONTENTS file and re-creates packlist files
23 when needed, but thats more work than the above at present. =)
26 Kent
27
28 perl -e "print substr( \"edrgmaM SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,
29 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"