From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: kentfredric@×××××.com, perl@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Perl: please don't delete packlists
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 07:28:32
1 On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 17:22:14 +1200
2 Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 9 September 2012 15:53, Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
5 > wrote:
6 > > I think Gentoo of all distributions should aim to provide software
7 > > as "original" as possible. If there are any reasons that I have
8 > > ignored so far why people would want the current behavior, how
9 > > about I make this patch conditional on a new use flag?
10 >
11 > I'd suggest not a USE flag, at least, not at present, it would
12 > needlessly require all ebuilds to have that useflag, which would be a
13 > significant noise to users.
14 >
15 > I'd rather a documented( in the eclass ) ENV variable that could
16 > toggle this behaviour that was /not/ a use-flag, so only people who
17 > cared about that sort of behaviour could adjust it.
18 >
19 > Then the question is only really as to what a "Sane default" is. Seems
20 > the sane default is to install packlists, but have it being
21 > disable-able by ENV change for the people who have the tuits to know
22 > "I'll never need those, and if I do, I can handle the need to rebuild
23 > everything with them".
24
25 I think the relevant env variable is called INSTALL_MASK then ;).
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny