From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] client+server packages - build which one?
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 11:02:02
1 * Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o> schrieb:
2 > On Tuesday 08 August 2006 09:56, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
3 > > If you want an dhcp client, install "dhcp-client", if you
4 > > want an dhcp server, install "dhcp-server". Could it be simpler ?
5 >
6 > Maybe you missed the part of the discussion where we thought that
7 > maintaing 3 ebuilds vs 1 ebuild was a bad idea. Yes we would need
8 > 3 due to the way that the dhcp builds and installs.
9
10 Okay, but they're maintained at the same time.
11
12 Let's see where the extra work could come from:
13
14 + changes in build options. okay, have to type some things twice.
15 adds 5mins
16 + three packages have to be tested now. today one package has to
17 be tested in three variants. is there really more work ?
18
19 The 3rd package is mostly copy-and-paste, since doesn't actually
20 do anything. It's just rdeps based on useflags. Just an multiplexer.
21
22 On the other hand I see some more changes on an split:
23 Let's say, in a newer version, there's an interesting improvement
24 in the server, but an bad bug in the client. Currently the client
25 would block the server, just for buerocrativ reasons.
26 After a split, both part-packages can evolve separately.
27
28 <snip>
29
30 > The minimal flag currently controls this anyway - you always get
31 > the client but the server is optional.
32
33 But it's very unclear. Ask around in the user list, who knows what
34 "minimal" in this special case means (without extra reading the
35 documentation). Such useflags should be obvious, but "minimal" isnt.
38 cu
39 --
41 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
43 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
44 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
45 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
46 http://patches.metux.de/
48 --
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list