From: Michael Haubenwallner <michael.haubenwallner@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] new glep draft: Portage as a secondary package manager
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 12:54:55
1 Brian Harring wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 03:13:56PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 <snip>
4 >>Why did you post this without addressing the problems I pointed out to
5 >>you previously? Writing something up as a GLEP doesn't magically fix all
6 >>the holes in it.
7 >
8 > State said problem for the general community. Guessing you're
9 > referencing the issue/request that being able to manage home, and
10 > 'global' installations?
11 >
12 > I'd still posit that the issue of installing to a user's home when
13 > portage's base prefix is /usr/local (fex) is a seperate issue. What
14 > you were requesting for vim plugins goes beyond haubi's initial
15 > goals...
16
17 Exactly that, and according to glep 1 a glep should address just *one*
18 problem at once...
19
20 IMO a secondary package manager just has to manage the files/packages
21 installed into the same prefix the pkgm is installed to, nothing else.
22 If you want to use a pkgm for ~, then set up a pkgm with prefix=~,
23 and use an ebuild-tree or profile containing packages dedicated to
24 be installed into ~.
25
26 And once portage is able to act as a secondary pkgm, this does not imply
27 that the whole ebuild-tree makes sence to install with a 2nd pkg mgr,
28 fex baselayout, which is already virtualized for baselayout-lite
29 (eh, what is Linux VServer ?).
30
31 ~haubi
32 --
33 Michael Haubenwallner SALOMON Automation GmbH
34 Forschung & Entwicklung A-8114 Friesach bei Graz
35 mailto:michael.haubenwallner@×××××××.at http://www.salomon.at
36 No HTML/MIME please, see http://expita.com/nomime.html
40 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list