From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: adding sys-apps/iproute2 to the @system set
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2014 21:20:32
1 Dnia 2014-09-05, o godz. 16:30:43
2 "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 09/05/14 16:08, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Dnia 2014-09-05, o godz. 12:34:11
6 > > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> napisał(a):
7 > >
8 > >> there is a bug open requesting that we add sys-apps/iproute2 to the
9 > >> system set [1]. Originally the request was to drop net-tools, but it has
10 > >> become just adding iproute2.
11 > >>
12 > >> If no one objects, I would like to do this sometime in the next 72
13 > >> hours by adding sys-apps/iproute2 to profiles/default/linux/packages.
14 > >>
15 > >> Thoughts?
16 > > I object. We should be keeping towards making @system as small
17 > > as possible, not adding random packages there just because someone
18 > > happens to use them often.
21 > I don't like to say no when people want something, but I think here I'm
22 > with Michal. My idea of @system is that it must be the bare minimum to
23 > have a "working" system. And for a working system you need just enough
24 > toolchain, networking and python to be able to bootstrap into whatever
25 > you want to build from that point. We already have net-tools, so
26 > iproute2 is not needed.
27
28 Even better, @system is basically stuff you don't want to depend
29 explicitly on or on which it is hard to depend on. As I see it, it
30 should be just the most basic stuff, like baselayout, shell, some basic
31 POSIX-defined utilities, some random stuff that PMS enforces, a C & C++
32 compiler.
33
34 As I see it, @system is already overburdened with random packages that
35 don't belong there. If we really feel like having to have something
36 else installed by default, why not just put it in default @world?
39 Best regards,
40 Michał Górny